If you were to ask me a week ago if my pregnant wife was going to give birth yesterday I would have thought you were crazy ans said no. I would have been wrong though.
These past few days have been a whirlwind of a ride. It has only just begun.
Our baby wasn’t due until April 26th. Here is a rundown of last weeks events.
Stephanie originally went to a three week sonogram with her high risk ob/gyn Monday morning. She called me crying and mumbling something about they were sending her to the hospital because they didn’t like what they saw. The amniotic fluid was low and the blood flow in the umbilical cord was not good. When I arrived at the hospital Stephanie and her mom when still sitting in the car grabbing a bite to eat. I spent the day there while they monitored her ‘off the charts’ blood pressure and the baby’s heart beat. She spent the night there as did her mom.
Tuesday was spent waiting around for lots of answers that never came.
Wednesday we finally made progress with another sonogram that morning. He basically stated that we could have a baby in a week or 4 weeks. Nothing had really gotten worse, nor had it gotten better. I went to work the rest of the day, my mind not really there. That afternoon Stephanie calls me saying that Dr. Taylor came in and told her that if she were to deliver Ashleigh there at H.E.B. hospital our baby wouldn’t have a fighting chance and wanted to go ahead and transfer us to Harris Methodist in downtown Fort Worth. I went ahead and finished my last two calls as it was going to be awhile for the ambulance to transport her. I drove from downtown Dallas to downtown Fort Worth and arrived in time to meet the new Obstetrician that had agreed to take on the new patient. He talked to us about certain things and then immediately wanted to do another sonogram to put a fresh pair of eyes on the situation. Luckily for us he got called to do an emergency delivery and his partner came in and did the sonogram instead. Dr. Tabor was his name, and safety for mommy was his game. We both liked this guy even better. He didn’t like what he saw and told us to expect a baby within two weeks.
Two weeks? Really? Dr. Tabor was the first doctor that we’d seen that said the cord was wrapped around the babies neck. He also stated that Stephanie’s organs could also start to shut down and neither one of us were thrilled about that. That night Carol stayed with Stephanie, and I for the first time that week spent the night with Zoe.
I dropped Zoe off at her Poppy’s house Thursday morning and grabbed some doughnuts and received a call from Carol that they were doing another sonogram and to hang close by “just in case”. Luckily with my job I’m never at the same place in the mornings and was able to hang in a parking lot off I30.
Then the call came. Carol weeping she says, “You need to come on, they are taking the baby.”
I arrived 10 minutes later and found Stephanie. The nurses were already starting a different IV and I was told to put these scrubs on. The anesthesiologist came in a told her about the spinal they would give her to numb the lower part of her body. Shortly there after the wheeled her off and I waited. And waited. And waited. I waited for what seemed like an eternity and then finally the nurse came and got me and I saw Steph. Strapped to the OR table. A curtain up, keeping her from seeing anything. It wasn’t but maybe 10 or 15 minutes later and we heard a small moan.
Time of birth: 9:35am.
I tried to peek around the curtain to see what was going on but was unable to. They finally called me over and there she was in all her beauty. Little Ashleigh Ryon.